Slide back

UX/UI DESIGN

Saneago

Redesigning the digital experience between customers and a public utility company

Saneago is a state-owned company responsible for sanitation and water distribution in 225 cities in the state of Goiás, Brazil. After the company went through a complete rebranding,their next step was to redesign their website (an important channel of communication between the company and its customers).

Not released yet

The Problem

The website’s redesign was an opportunity to solve usability issues which resulted in customer service overload. This overload led to long queues at local branches and hundreds of calls every day by customers seeking answers to questions which could easily be found online.  The challenge was to simplify user flows, turning the portal into a useful and intuitive tool for its users.


Year: Role:
2017 Lead UX Designer

The Process

We started with the Google Design Sprints method, which involved the leaders of each department within the company who dealt directly or indirectly with customers, so we could understand the main problems faced by them and figure out how the new interface could help.

During the five-day workshop, we set up strategies, features and metrics for the different user categories on the portal – customers, employees, regulatory agencies, suppliers and investors. At the end of this process we had low-fidelity prototypes of the website’s main areas.

As the customers were our main concern, the focus was on relieving their pain points. The previous website was confusing and they struggled to find basic information (for example, how to print monthly statements, to warn about lackness of water, and how to follow up on a service request). During the wireframes we highlighted these functionalities through quick access links on all the pages. We also made access to the help chat line and how to find the closest branch easier.

User testing

After all of the prototype’s iterations, we then tested it with seven real Saneago customers. Due to our small team and short deadline, we did not establish specific profiles or personas. Our goal was to validate the success of the solution based on the general consumer audience. After all, a little user research is better than none at all.

The users had three tasks to complete: print a monthly statement, find the nearest branch, and submit a complaint. These tasks made it possible to evaluate different and important areas for the users. The overall feedback was positive, with complete success in the two first tasks. However, a few users did have some difficulty on the last task (submitting a complaint), mainly because of unfamiliar language and the layout. We tried to solve these problems in the next step: visual design.

Visual Design

The Results

The design system which we created established visual consistency for the new brand and accelerated future project iterations. The user flows issues were solved with a new simpler solution (as verified by user testing). Because development is still ongoing, we were unable to perform analyses on other metrics.

NEXT PROJECT

O Popular